Monday, September 8, 2008

On the Cape

This autumn, a ravishing wrap is a must! On the runways, looks ranged from floor-grazing volumes to the tiniest of capelets, and everything in between! Believe it or not, these first two images are from New York Fashion Week for Spring 2009!
At near left, Willliam Rast plaid wrap. CC just looooooves Mr. Timberlake and this collection!
At far left, Stærk leather capelet. Adorably edgy!

Photos via style.com except where noted.
At right: Gai Mattiolo’s version of "Little Red Riding Hood",
courtesy Vogue Paris
Left: Giles
floor-length hooded cape


Left: Alberta Ferretti
Right: Ports 1961










Halston
Left: Antonio Berardi
Below: Threeasfour

At far right: Rue du Mail metallic capelet; this and next via Paris Vogue
Left: J-C de Castelbajac
Andrew Gn
Left: Alexandre Herchovitch mini fitted capelet
Below: Koi Suwannagate – CC’s fave of the bunch!!

LUXE MATERIALS: FUR AND FEATHERS
Giambattista Valli fur capelet, at right
Herve Leger by Max Azria blonde feather capelet . . . How exquisite is this ensemble? CC loves the sheer train as well!

At far right: Zucca belt-buckled fitted cape,
courtesy Paris Vogue
To buy:
Pologeorgis Stone Marten Fur Poncho, at Neiman Marcus
VELVET UNDERGROUND
Left: Giorgio Armani
Right: Derek Lam
PRINTS AND PATTERNS

Vivienne Westwood
Anna Sui
Jean Paul Gaultier

Central Saint Martins ... How fab are those tights, btw??
What to buy: Mara Hoffman print silk jersey poncho, at shopbop.com

MAD FOR PLAID
Runway inspiration: Ralph Lauren

Your way: Hayden Harnett Gwenievere plaid wool cape
HITCHCOCK HEROINE CHIC*
*See tomorrow's CC post for more on this fab fall theme!!
Far left:
Runway Inspiration:
L’Wren Scott
Near left:
Buy: Thayer Mystify cape, at shopbop.com
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

SWEATER WEATHER
At left:
Runway: Michel Klein, via Paris Vogue
At right:
What to buy: Gucci
Shop gucci.com.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

THE HYBRID
On the runway, at far left: Junya Watanabe blazer-cape
What to buy: Alexander McQueen patent trim cape, at net-a-porter.com
OTHER IDEAS:
Right:
Kookai drawstring hem hooded cape, at asos.com
Left:
Rose Shrug It Off gathered capelet, at lagarconne.com

If you're truly not a cape gal, fake it with this Nanette Lepore Stuck on You swing jacket, pictured at right and available at neimanmarcus.com.

Celeb Style at left: Eva Mendes (she looks so different without makeup, right?) in a camel wrap. Photo courtesy Fellow Fashionista Kenza ... click on her name for another look at capes, with commentary in French!

P.S. CC is experimenting with a new template (more room for delish pics!) so bear with the formatting errors . . . . Thanks, and have a fashionable day!

xoxox,
CC

50 comments:

WendyB said...

The capes are nice, but I really would prefer to wear a gray bag over my head, like that one model. That would be a good look for me.

La Belette Rouge said...

That first plaid cape looks a lot like I do when I am walking from bed to the couch---I often do a catwalk down my hallway in my plaid flannel blanket.;-)

No, but really, I do like the more modified capelet. They are much more wearable.

You did a definitive study of the cape in this cape caper.;-)

uneventriΔngle said...

Lovely! and great blog

Eeli said...

Hey hun, you're always so on point with the news its almost sickening (in the most delightful way) lol. I will most definately be coveting capes. I recently found this fiery red one that i'm so itching to wear! You my dear, spend a great deal on presenting your blog posts. I'd seriously tire myself to sleep lol. Yet again a wonderful post from seriously wonderful girl :)

Thankyou for those well wishes too. They all mean a great deal

Kenza said...

Hey you !
Thanks for the quote!
I love your blog very provided...
And superb selection of capes ! :)

S (formerly of Modern-Guilt) said...

ooh those plaid capes are delightful!
Great post, you have such a keen sense for trends it's out of this world!

LucyinStLou said...

Almost every year there is some formal event in the midst of a cold snap and I wish, uselessly, that I had purchased a cape. Then the event passes, I forget about it, fail to shop for a cape, and repeat the process the next year. Thanks for the reminder!

choppyshades said...

pretty sexy!

Mimi said...

I like capes a lot.My mother has a black one but unfortunately it's a way to big for me.I like them in this reamy color.

Anonymous said...

i loveeeeeee cape, but i really prefer the short one..maybe that's because i'm tiny!

caroline said...

while i was looking at the pictures, the word, fairytale couldn't stop showing it self in my head. the capes (and the rest of the outfits from the runway) have this european-fairytale-style!Love them!

CULTURE CREATORS said...

Super post. I loved your selection of pics, great inspiration. Happy Monday kiddo;)







xCC

Susanna-Cole King said...

Oh I love capes! I really want one! (Even if everyone around these parts would laugh at me :P) You found some really great capes, thanks for sharing! :)

And thanks for your sweet comment on my blog! :)

xoxo,
S-C

Sharon S said...

Hi there-a great choice here, my fave has to be halston, I love it!!

jess said...

Capes are great.I really like the plaid one

leeselooks said...

plaid cape. ah love!

Anonymous said...

I like the look -- but, not for me. =/

Unknown said...

i really love the capelets... i have a black one that i hardly wear.. i should get more use out of it..

Siljesfashion said...

I would love a velvet cape, its very high upon my wishlist.

Fashion_Girl22 said...

You have to be a real Fashionista to pull off a cape. Otherwise you'll look ridiculous or doubtly. I think there was a Givenchy Fall 08 cape that was great.

Lauren said...

i want one! i want one!

Cait said...

I love the idea of capes for spring, definitely a look i might try out. I love your blog by the way

Marian said...

ohwhooooie! i heart the william rast collection,when I saw the plaid cape I WAS IN LURVE CARRIE! The dreamy one for Herve L by Max A is GORGEOUS! i am a cape girl,just needed to find the right one so honey thanks for pointing marian in the right direction!
x
Muah!
Marian

Daniela Valdez said...

I think those capes are amazing, but I'm not sure if they would look great on me!

Seeker said...

I like a cape very much, despite I have no one :(

That Ralph Lauren plaid is a dream.

Hummm... I'm looking forward for your next post "HITCHCOCK HEROINE CHIC".... intriguing!

Oh my dear please don't say I speak 5 languages, I speak one and understand a bit of 4.

xoxo

Jadore-Fashion said...

capes are nice but could be very tricky--if worn right, it looks great.

thanks dear for the comment, by the way!
:)
xoxo

La Clocharde said...

I think capes are so nice and elegant, and also fun and cool...
But I don't have any. Whenever I try one on, I don't know...I feel strange and think I'll never feel 100% comfortable with a cape. I think I need a bit of courage to wear one...

How can you be so talented? I love your blog, it's full of interesting information, and lots of cool stuff ALWAYS. I love it.

Christina Lee said...

Nice job- I prefer a wrap to a cape.

Sienna said...

I adore capes and wraps. You can never own too many!

Eeli said...

PS Thankyou for those lovely words you gave me yesterday. You must get another post up her missy. For i'll keep posting on the same thread! :P

Sydney said...

i love capes.

especially hooded capes.

Anonymous said...

I love these capes! I must invest in a cape for next winter - ooh so many to choose from though!

Tricia said...

the staerk cape is my pick.

Sarah said...

awwww...... I would love to wear a cape, unfortunately tropical weather doesn't allow it! -__-"

Then again, capes may not look great on everyone. Being not tall at all, I might end up looking like a sack of potatos! Best short crops for short people! =D

Elizabeth said...

I'm not a cape girl at all, but I do like that first look.

Mrs.French said...

yep...I have been wanting a cape...this makes it a sure thing.

Angela said...

I am not a big cape gal but adore the Gucci cape in grey. Very savvy!
Good luck with your templete!

Linda Thai said...

i am soo down with a cape!!! i have a really similar one to the ralph lauren one.. but its cuter i must admit hehe ill have to post it on my blog soon, check out my blog www.postvillage.blogspot.com im still pretty new to all this :) but nice blog you have here xo

Fifi Flowers said...

Great cape collection! Makes me want to me back in the ancient times... medieval... roccoco... romantic... the days of long gowns and big capes with hoods... sneaking off in the night to a masked ball... lol...

Anonymous said...

the William Rast cape is so extreme! my verdict is still out on that collection but I will say that it looked better than I was expecting (I say that as a complete JT fan, lol)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the cape pictures! I have been cape obsessed for months now, still looking for the perfect one. x

Songy said...

Ports 1961 is my favourite. I know.. it's practical me coming out again. I wish I could be A LOT more adventurous!

ryder said...

Ruffian Spring.i can see that u like it! but do u like as much as i do??? cuz i love it!

cape's are cool. very stylish objects. but i noticed that they dont fit for/to everyone.

something like hippy jeans. :)

bronwyn said...

Hmmmm....interesting, I hadn't realised there were so many capes around...it can be quite a dramatic look, especially the long ones.

Pamela Tan said...

i wouldnt mind wearing capes down here in 90 degrees.. they are so beautiful :) but i wud opt for a cape-ish blouse :)

Gala Gonzalez said...

i love capes

Rebecca Jane said...

I've been wanting a cape for ages - but these are some amazingly gorgeous ones. Thanks for posting~!

Missa said...

I'm totally inspired to find a wonderful Fall cape now! That plaid wrap is really cool!

Miss Cavendish said...

I wear a gray cape with red lining (vintage, from Switzerland, bought in Iceland) every fall. There are some dazzlers in your display here. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Love capes. They're so dramatic, powerful & chic!