Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Corsets and Bustiers and Lingerie, oh my!

Couture Carrie’s favorite fashion medium has gone from binding necessity to stylish accessory. To begin with, CC provides a visual historical reference: this P.D. Original black satin corset made in Belgium, c. 1890. Go to antiquedress.com. For more scholarly writing on this topic, read the wonderfully encyclopedic recent post by Fellow Fashionista Danz: http://fatalfashionattraction.blogspot.com/2008/06/define-and-enhance.html and refer to the Victoria and Albert Museum website http://www.vam.ac.uk/collections/fashion/features/corset.
On the runways, the corset (traditionally laced and strapless) has transformed into the bustier, an equally sexy and female form-flattering garment.
Derek Lam's gray wool top is brilliantly in step with this fall's feminine glamour!
Note how this snap-front Etro navy bustier is worn over a long sleeve shirt! Photo via French Vogue.







Sometimes, delicate lacing is a point of departure for other garments, as with these Jean-Paul Gaultier "corset pants"; photo via nymag.com.








Zac Posen red bow bustier; detail photo via Style.com
Verrier white lace bustier, Spring 2007, via nymag.com









Wunderkind pink satin bustier, Spring 2008, via style.com


Roberto Cavalli Fall 2008 floral detail bustier, via nymag.com
HOW TO WEAR:
There is a transformative power in this garment; wearing a corset top can't help but make you sit up straighter, strut a bit more, and feel overwhelmingly confident and sexy! So if you haven't worn a bustier lately, give it a chance to work its magic! The corset can be worn in the traditional manner, as an undergarment. Try a Deborah Lindquist bustier, like this pale green one, at Faire Frou Frou.
More often, however, the bustier is a layering piece, meant to be admired, rather than hidden away under one's petticoats! It can be worn as a tank top or a vest, either over or under other pieces.
CC is absolutely enamored of this Gaetano Navarra cashmere felt corset for Fall 2008. Photo at left courtesy elle.com.
Another fanciful wool corset recently appeared in W Magazine: How incredible is this black cashmere Koi Suwannagate bustier?? Available at Fred Segal Los Angeles. (Note that a red cotton Rosamosario corset is worn as a skirt in this photo!)
Get the look for less at victoriassecret.com. This black corset top, with boning for shaping, is just $16.99! CC loves how it's layered over a tee!
Modern corsets may even have sleeves, as evinced by Ronald Abdala's top, pictured below. Visit ronaldbdala.com.
Of course, the bustier dress is always a hot item. The original and best? Dolce and Gabbana, of course! Get this D&G stretch sateen frock in Peacock at Bergdorf Goodman.
Another stunner for fall, available at Neiman Marcus, is Roberto Cavalli's magenta and black satin corset dress.
This adorable madras plaid bustier dress is on sale for a mere $34.99 at Victoria's Secret!

Whether as underwear or outerwear, the corseted top is alluring and flattering . . . Here is CC's short list of the best online lingerie purveyors:

http://www.fairefroufrou.com/
http://www.figleaves.com/us/home.asp
http://www.fredericks.com/
http://www.glamorousamorous.com/
http://www.kikidm.com/shop/home

http://www.shoplingerielounge.com/

http://www.myla.com/us/
http://www.stockingirl.com/
Or, scan ebay from time to time . . . CC recently snapped up this pink Catherine Malandrino top and La Petite Salope bustier dress for about 75% percent off retail price!

SO:
Where do you buy your bustiers? Who are your favorite designers for this type of item? How much would you be willing to pay for the perfect piece? Will you be wearing corseted tops this fall?
xoxox CC

43 comments:

Times of Glory said...

Dear, these are sooooooo fierce! I love them all! Totally, they surely show off your best assets! I'm now totally speechless and just enjoying your post xxxxxx

Angela said...

I love bustier. I think I will resign to the fact that I will never be able to fit into my 23 inch waist Chanel bustier and take it out so I can wear it in some comfort.

Irene (capuccinobar) said...

The girl on the photo is Caroline Trentini:)

Couture Carrie said...

Hey T o G! Thanks and run right out and buy yourself some bustiers to show off YOUR best assets!!

Cap Bar - Ah, yes; the consummate beauty . . .

starbrained said...

oooh i love, love, love Derek Lam's gray wool top. It's fabulous! I've never worn a corset before, but I don't know, I may have to invest in a corseted top : )

ivoreece said...

The both outfits with yellow skirts are so beautiful :)

Elle said...

Great post!

Sharon S said...

Hi there-another fabulous post!! I love your dress, the last pictured one-this is my fave!! I picked up a lovely white broderie anglaise bustier halter neck top from the charity shop for only £3.50, but the weather hasn't been nice enough to wear it yet!!

Darling Deer said...

great post.i love corseted tops&am on the hunt for a perfect onexxx

Héloïse J. said...

i really like corsets-don't think i've ever even tried one! i can't imagine myself in that piece!!

Danz said...

Thanks so much for the link Carrie darling! Muah! :D

This is a wonderful post full of beautiful corset looks - some are sexy and edgy while others are delicate and feminine!

The first black one on your short list is stunning! It looks like a gorgeous wearable rose!

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I love corsets and bustiers incorporated into an outfit, like the ones you've displayed ...P.S. just wanted to say how much I enjoy reading you blog, I check back everyday :)

Shes Dressing Up said...

Love the etro look!

Anonymous said...

i LOVE corsets i totally need to buy one

Lucy said...

I've really warmed to corsets over the last few weeks, the way theey're being done for a/w is such much more chic than anything i've seen on the high street up to this point. great post, thanks.

Siljesfashion said...

Sexy looks. Gotta love a great bustier!

WendyB said...

I love corsets. They're great for one's posture!

AsianCajuns said...

Ooooh! I want all of them. Actually, I kind of have a love/hate relationship with corsets. I mean, they can look fantastic, but then they still kind of symbolize a sort of female restraint and repression that I'm not too fond of. Nevertheless, lovely post!

mysterious style said...

hi!
i love corsets but especially dress corsets! and the top corset black is too cute!kiss

Victoria-Olivia said...

Wow I love the Verrier bustier, so simple but amazing.
Yes, I didn try on the shoes and it made me feel a bit better, even though I was still in pj's!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your comment very much CarrieCouture, thanks! This post is magnificent. Something magical happens when you slip on a corset or a bustier. You feel glamorous, sexy and simply radiant. Is hard to go unnoticed when you wear one, but in a good way. And that's exactly what we want, right girls?

Laurel said...

I believe I saw an amazing corset on the beautiful Alexander Wang runway a few seasons ago, on (of course) Miss Erin Wasson! (Love!) I wish I had a bit more upstairs to contribute to the purpose of a bustier, but a girl can dream, right!? Hahahaha.

I know, isn't gardening so revitalizing? I mowed my lawn, weeded and even watered my plants - I was pooped but felt great!

Hope you're well, lovely!
xo

Winnie said...

Wow, I love the Gaultier one. Gorgeous!

Aww, you must miss NYC, it's a city I will definitely making a return to. The New yorkers we talked to were really friendly too!

Lil Midget said...

I LOOOOOVE corsets!!

Wendy said...

Now somce Rumi wore a bustier so well, I might just go buy a cheap one from F21.

G & W said...

thanks for all the links! now i def have some investigating to do :)

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I love these. I definitely need to start layering with some--I have one, but I'm a bit hesitant to play with it. Oh and the song "Sleeping In" is by The Postal Service.

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

i usually imagine corsets to be made of silk or lace, which is why i'm irresistibly drawn to the plaid one.

Terren said...

etro = LOVE

Pamela Tan said...

I WANT!! esp the white + yellow outfit.. huu.. i NEED all! :):):)

Anonymous said...

Wow, love your blog!

Love Amie<3

Imelda Matt - The Despotic Queen of Shoes said...

sexy and sliming!

Debbie Shiamay said...

These photos are awesome. I love the second last one with the plaid design.

Syed said...

Those are all beautiful, that last dress is divine!

Unknown said...

loving the corsets!!!!! definitely have to get some!

Miss at la Playa said...

I hate corsets! But this post is so useful, really, a great compilation! :) This blog is better each day :)

interpreta-sones said...

gracias por la visita, fashionista! :)

Sr Q said...

Me parece una prenda muy dificil, hay que tener cuidado porque puede rematar cualquier look y volverlo vulgar. Sin embargo a veces quedan geniales muy armados combinados con vaqueros y tacones.

Un saludo.

sab said...

Wow!!! Great post!!!

I love it GG!!!

THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENT, DARLING!


Besos!
Kisses!

Sa! Mag!

ooohmaureen said...

thanks for your comment! i like the trouser on the pic! love your blog x

we wear things said...

ahhh.. your blog is super inspirational!! i saw sooo many things i want now...

Penny said...

i adore the Koi Suwannagate corset, it has such an amazing shape

KATLIN said...

That black molded bustier is sooooo beautiful!!!