Monday, June 30, 2008

She's a Grand Old Flag

Stars and Stripes Forever!

Okay . . . CC was going to wait until Independence Day for the red, white & blue post, but then she figured: what if all her lovely readers have some shopping to do for next weekend's fireworks and festivities? So get ready to hoist up the flag (or, wear its signature colors)!

As was noted in an article entitled “The Betsy Ross Label” in last week's Thursday Styles : , the spring/summer and resort collections, both in New York and abroad, were heavily reliant upon red, white and blue. See the runway photos below from, inter alia, Charles Nolan, Chanel, Miu Miu (pictured at top left), Lacoste, Blugirl, Moschino, and Moschino. Read the article at http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/26/fashion/26ROW.html?_r=1&ref=fashion&oref
The Runway Gets Patriotic:

Charles Nolan; photo at upper right courtesy nytimes.com

Left: Trend Les Copains
Lacoste nautical striped tank and red & white beach bag
Agnes B Resort 2009 striped pants and toppers

Bill Blass Resort 2009

















Moschino Cheap & Chic Spring 2008
Chanel Spring/Summer 2008

Blugirl (CC just adores this poufy blouse and vest combo, the chunky bangles, the oversize bag, etc.)












Next, a sweet dose of street style from fellow fashionista and blogger extraordinaire, Ida! Visit http://rougemarie.blogspot.com/


And now, your shopping directory, from the sublime to the ridiculous:

D&G grosgrain ribbon trim jacquard jacket. Purchase at eLuxury.com.

Brooks Brothers cuff links. Go to brooksbrothers.com
Topshop stripe anchor thong. Go to topshop.com
D&G strapless belted dress with pleated skirt, also at eLuxury

Angela Moore stars and stripes bracelet. Visit angelamoore.com
Vivienne Westwood Anglomania Agriculture dress, at Net-a-Porter.com

It is clear that these are not simply "American" or "patriotic" looks, since designers worldwide are showing them, and fashionistas are loving them. So what do you think, my lovelies? Which piece or ensemble are you craving? Is the red, white & blue trend just for summer or all-year-round?
Fashion Credits: Photos in this post courtesy nymag.com, except where otherwise noted. Flag ribbon candy at right, go to hammondscandies.com.
Extra Credit: If you're interested in flag trivia and etiquette, see
http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/site/mslo/menuitem.3a0656639de62ad593598e10d373a0a0

32 comments:

Emma Waldorf said...

I love the first picture with the miumiu dress, and the Chanel stars!

STYLE DU MONDE said...

Thanks for the post. You inspired me :-)

Sharon S said...

I love this post-this is such a great look which is soo timelessly chic and stylish and you've shared some really lovely looks-thanks!

STYLE DU MONDE said...

Just added you to my favorite blogs, sweet CC.

thesil said...

Love navy looks, so you can imagine that I love your today´s post.

Toni Alexis said...

This post is amazing! I adore the Blugirl (so much) and the Bill Blass. And Rougemarie is such a cutie, her blog is awesome. I see Ive been tagged I will get to it....

xoxo

Seeker said...

Thanks for sharing all those inspirations.
xx

yiqin; said...

Chanel's amazing. I have been in love with the Miu Miu outfit for so long!!

Blicious said...

Navy is my new fav color. love the pics!

Angela said...

I like the Miu Miu skirt but there are so many copies out there already from Top Shop and Forever 21. Stripes are everywhere now. I really have to visit Lacoste and Agnes b to pick up a couple pieces. I did not like Chanel star this season, actually some clients must feel the same way. Lots of star pieces went on sale at Chanel. They just don't speak to me at all! : )

Pamcasso said...

the bracelet (angela moore) is incredible:)

alex said...

i also LOVE the first picture. Miumiu dress is fabb! The Blugirl outfit is perfection.

Lucy said...

yum - i LOVE the first skirt, Topshop do a wearable highstreet version.

Always In Style said...

I love the runway shots - patriotic without being corny :-)

Nice picks too.

♥ Marta ♥ said...

I love nautical look, especially for the summer :)

Anonymous said...

im gonne on a plane for the 4th while all my friends ar partying

Fifi Flowers said...

Thanks for helping me find my 4th of July ensemble!
Thanks for stopping by too!

meliindaa. said...

ahh once again, nice post! hmm i need to dig out some red-white-and blue! the stars are a bit cheesy, but otherwise i like all the outfits

AsianCajuns said...

I love this post! It actually makes me feel patriotic - and I haven't felt that way in a while!

Nancy said...

I like the stripes, but not digging the stars (the pattern just seems too childish). I find the Miu Miu dress the most agreeable out of the bunch because it isn't as blatantly American. Can't for July 4th to pig out heh

Danz said...

Fantastic post Carrie! My favourite looks are from Miu Miu, Trend Les Copains, Chanel, Blugirl and of course, the lovely Miss Ida! I also think that dress from Vivienne Westwood is so chic! I'm not from the U.S or U.K but I do love me some red, white and blue hehe!

Thanks for your great comment on my post darling, you're the best! Enjoy your day tomorrow :)

cassandra said...

oh, eeek! i'm planning a little 4th of july fashion post of my own, but you have WAY more than i do! thanks for the inspiration!

AusAnna said...

Ciao!
Love your blog and the beautiful fashion photographs you help provide a world in need of art.
Just wanted to pop by, I’ve been awfully slack with my blog due to uni and demotivation but AusAnna is back in force. Please link me, the favor will be returned.
Bene Grazie!!!
http://nextannawintour.blogspot.com/

Bel said...

Am loving Bill Blass Resort 2009!

Thanks for stopping by my blog...a bit of man candy is always good!You'll be happy to note I've spoiled myself rotten with some clothes and accessory shopping the past week too :oD

Vain and Vapid said...

That MiuMiu dress is one of my absolute favorites....

verena said...

I really like your blog.
and thanks for your post on mine:)

Syed said...

First and third look are amazing! And I've tagged you by the way!

Sr Q said...

Yo creo que esta combinación de colores es siempre un acierto. Ahora está muy de moda pero para mí es una obsesión: rojo, azul marino y blanco, es playa americana y verano relajado. Me encanta y me he comprado una colcha fresca en rayas de estos colores.

Un saludo.

Madame Dior said...

love all the outfits you picked, i am especially in love with the Bill Blass outfit, soooo gorgeous!

Sinead said...

I loveeeee the Agnes B resort pieces. The jackets are awesome!
And thanks for the tag, but I didn't even have a book around :( I'm pathetic, I know.

queengilda said...

ooh, i have a july 4th bbq party at p. field's place to go to and NOTHING to wear. this gave me a little inspiration for an outfit. hee hee! thanks!!

Lydia O'Connor said...

I normally stay away from all things patriotic, but this post has got me wanting to don all my stars, stripes, reds, whites, and blues!
And thank you for the comment!